Thursday, October 28, 2010

New and helpful OB/GYN

A while ago, I had a bad experience with a new gynecologist. She was rude about my weight (not in a helpful way), practically threatened that I get back on BC, and had no interest in discussing how to resolve my apparent anovulation until we were "officially" trying to conceive. I never went back.

Even my general practitioner was more helpful. He ordered and ultrasound and sent me for minimal blood work, which was all "unremarkable". Of course, I still needed an OB/GYN specifically to help me more. Even though Rod and I aren't actively "trying," we're not "trying not to" and have not been preventing pregnancy for the last 2 years, with no pregnancies resulting.

Then, my mom went to her GYN who, remembering I'd gotten married two years ago, asked if my mom was expecting any grandbabies. My mom told her no and that she was concerned we'd have trouble conceiving because I don't ever have periods, and have always been irregular in the past. Her GYN said, "Oh, we can help her with that, no problem!" So, she was able to get me in!

I had my first appointment today, and already I feel hopeful. The doctor was much more helpful, is sending me for more specific blood work (prolactin, HCG, glucose, testosterone, a bunch of other things I don't remember), requesting previous records and even started discussing options with me for the future, describing the steps we should take in my specific situation.

I'm so thrilled!

I know we're still not "officially" trying yet, but doesn't it make good sense to know what's going on and have it resolved sooner than later so that we don't have to wait longer when we're actively pursuing a pregnancy? We would be more than happy to get pregnant now, but we're not going to put all our energy into trying hard until we're close to finishing school, several months from now.

Anyway, just wanted to give a little background because I am sure this will be a topic I will updating about in the near future. Wish us luck!

No comments: