Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nail Salon People-Watching

There are 3 types of people who go to nail salons:

1) Those who have been given gift certificates or some amount of money to spend on themselves, and have decided to give themselves a treat; just a little pampering for a day.

2) Those who have a prom, party, wedding, vacation, or other special event to go to and want to look their absolute best (like H and me yesterday when we got pedicures and full sets to get ready for our big trip).

3) Those who have no job, nothing to do and no one to talk to, and just need some time where someone is paying all of their attention to them and they can talk away about everything going on in their lives to this person, regardless of whether the person is fully listening, responding or even completely understanding.

At the salon yesterday, there was a woman who went on and on and on some more to this poor man doing her manicure. There was nothing she didn't tell him about her unexciting life. I felt bad for her, to be honest. I don't mean to be mean about it, it just intrigues me. She just wanted some company and someone to hear her speak.

The same man ended up doing H's full set on her hands and when I got closer to him as I was finished with my nails before H and went to sit next to her, I realized he had wires coming out of the neck of his shirt attached to earbuds that were stuffed into his ears.

He must have turned up the volume when the Talker was at his station. They were barely noticeable, but I sort of found it interesting. Not so much rude, but I can see why someone else might think it was rude. I actually think it's clever... they must get tired of listening to the sound of nail files and lonely drones all day.

Then there were the ladies sitting at the nail dryer station preaching to other ladies who came to sit down with them to dry their nails. I only got part of what they were saying, but I heard the name Jesus, I heard something about "what a blessing," and as H was closer, she said she heard something about how everyone makes some mistakes in life. Then, as the victim was leaving (I think, if I remember correctly, the victim was the woman who spent the last 30 minutes venting to Earbud Man), Preacher Lady made her hug her and then said, "God bless you."

What a day.

No comments: