Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Spring is Here! (Maybe)

It was snowing only a week ago...and then yesterday I was outside with shorts on! You never know what tomorrow will be like. But, I'm not complaining! I love all kinds of weather. So, I guess it's good that I live in New England, huh?

The babies are loving this weather! We went on a small hike at a nearby state park yesterday with my mom, and today they were outside for the majority of the day. I think they may have discovered we have a bird feeder now and the following pictures seem to indicate that they were nuzzling around the ground underneath it trying to find some fallen sunflower seeds...



So, yes...I'm 24 now. Only 1 year until I'm eligible to adopt from Ethiopia! :) I only wish...

Today is Heidi's birthday, by the way. Happy Birthday, Heidi!!! Wait, it is after midnight, so I guess I have to say yesterday was Heidi's birthday.

After my last post, we've returned our aquarium twice. I woke up one day to Rod suggesting we get a different shape tank because the original one was too tall and narrow, whereas for saltwater aquariums you really need longer so that there is more surface area for oxygen and gas exchange. So we got a 55 gallon, 48" long tank. Then, this morning I woke up and Roddy said, "I think we should get a bigger tank." Apparently, 40 is really the smallest the books tell us anyone should do with saltwater, and 55 isn't that much bigger. With a 55, people recommend you don't have that many fish (really 1 inch of fish per 4 gallons). So, we went back again today and got a 75 gallon tank.

I think we're satisfied. We'll see. I hope, because we're filling it up with water as we speak.



It's super late (or early) right now and we both have to go to work in the morning (Rod's taking an extra job tomorrow, probably to help pay for all this money we've just spent!) and we just finished doing some homework but are too excited and eager to continue working on the tank.

We decided to put it in the north-facing corner of our bedroom to keep it far away from any direct sunlight, and so that it's not in a high-traffic area of the house where fish can get spooked. I'm going to try to keep a log/journal of the tank set up and stocking and maintenance, etc. so that I can go back and look at. We're expecting a lot of hard work and trial and error, but we're reading SO much and really into this, so we have high hopes.

I'm rambling because I'm tired, so I think I will try to get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: