Thursday, August 28, 2008

Family

As it turns out, we're leaving for CT tomorrow for a few days... kinda last minute... but the sergeant and detective that are supposed to be helping Rod through the process of being hired are kinda dragging their feet lately.

Roddy needs to take a medical exam in CT before he can receive his letter of employment from the department, which we need for mortgage commitment for our house on the 1st of September. YIKES! That's on Monday.

Sooo... since we haven't heard from them and we've e-mailed and called them at least once a day, we're just going to drive up there tomorrow, since Rod has sick days he can take, and demand that we get this appointment scheduled and taken care of so we don't have to push mortgage commitment AND our closing date back again!

I just want to get moved in.

I'm thinking about meeting up with my birth mother for the first time this weekend. We've been talking about it for a while. I'm excited about it and actually not really nervous at all. Years ago, thinking of the day I'd meet her, if I'd ever meet her, I thought I'd be terrified. But that's also back when I thought she probably had all sorts of problems and would be freaked out if I ever contacted her. The whole experience has been SO much different than I ever imagined it would be. In a good way.

With everything going on with my grandma, though, I don't really want to stress out my family. If they hear I'm going to be spending time with my biological mother, they'll probably be interested and curious and concerned all at once, and want to know more information... but everyone should be thinking about my grandma. I don't want to disturb that.

I can't wait to visit with my grandmother. She's one of my favorite people in the world - as I said in my last post. She's definitely one of my heroes. She's extremely inspiring... she was a librarian and a mother of four girls, experienced a divorce, a stroke, breast cancer twice, and becoming almost completely blind, all the while walking around downtown, fixing things in her huge house all by herself. And she has more friends than everyone I know combined. When people started learning she was sick, my mom said at times there would be five visitors over there at once.

I'm going to miss her so, so much... her advice, her stories, her company, her house, her yard, her memories, her attic, the tree in her front yard, her fireplace, her dining room, her library...

I'm going to spend as much time with her as possible this weekend. I'll have a cup of coffee with Cheryl and Rod and spend the rest of my time visiting Gran and helping Rod get this appointment set up, so we can hurry up and move up north for good and spend the rest of my time with Gran, except while I'm working... although Paul will have to understand what's going on in my family.

I'm so glad to be moving closer to family.

Advice: Family is the most important thing in the world. Don't anyone ever forget it. No matter what the circumstances.

No comments: