Thursday, August 23, 2007

At Work

OK, I'm at work and Aidan just went down for a nap. I've been researching different infant exercises and activities to stimulate their growth and development and found a bunch of great stuff.

My classes started again today. I'm only taking one this semester: English III.

Tomorrow I get paid, yay, and then we're going over to Candi and Nick's for a barbecue. Right now I'm working on figuring out my options for health insurance since being on my dad's plan will expire in September.

Rod had his police academy "informal" interview yesterday and said it went great. They asked him basically the same, predictable questions they've been asking him all along... has he ever abused prescription drugs, etc. We're so excited to hear about a final date for the class to begin and proof he has a spot in it (which of course, he does).

My plan is to be a nanny until I get an Associate degree, at which time Rod will probably be out of the academy and will have worked in Norfolk the amount of time they need him to before he can transfer to wherever he wants, and then maybe we'll move back up north and I'll work in a child care center or nursery school for a little while. Then, eventually I'll get a Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Development or Psychology, and maybe then a Masters in Literature. I want to be a published author someday, too!

These are my hopes and goals. I'd really like to have my own daycare... I just never thought it'd pay enough or impress my family enough like being a nurse or a biologist would, but I realized after going to Maine and thinking about it that it's about what's best for me and what is most rewarding and important to me.

When I have children of my own, I could still be with them during the day before they start school instead of having to hire my own nanny or child care, which ironically I think I'd be too scared to do with all the horror stories you hear these days.

I want to make child care and education better for babies and toddlers, instead of these places you see these days with a woman with twelve kids in her one bedroom apartment watching soap operas and not doing any developmentally proactive activities.

Watching children (people) grow and learn is the most fascinating and rewarding thing in my opinion.

Anyway... I'm going to stop babbling and clean up some of Aidan's toys around the floor since it's already 2:45. He'll probably be waking up in fifteen minutes or so.

<3

No comments: