Saturday, August 11, 2007

Vacation

Our trip to Maine was amazing, as always!

We drove up Monday morning with Daniel and stayed with Roddy's grandparents all week. We just got back to Connecticut a couple of hours ago. My parents are going out for dinner and we're hopefully spending a little while over here with Ken and Bry and maybe Lauren and maybe Daniel swimming in the pool... but it sounds like Ken and Bryan might have some other things to do, which is too bad because we haven't seen Bryan recently.

Daniel comes back down to VB with us tomorrow and spends the week before we fly him back up to CT.

The week was great in Maine, except for a day that was rainy, we had a blast sailing, boating, hiking, sight-seeing, eating, shopping, relaxing... it was great, maybe even better than last summer, if possible.

Last weekend in CT before Maine I got to see an old friend I haven't seen in a couple years, one of my previous best friends. We didn't get to spend a whole lot of time together, but it was still nice to see her and hang out for a bit. We had a celebratory dinner for Roddy with our parents at Cuckoo's Nest which was nice, and visited the C's at Oliver's for lunch on Sunday, and saw Trudy and Bruce and Sammy on the way up to Maine. Their house is incredible! Samantha and I have a lot in common... she loves horses like I used to when I was younger.

I did a lot of thinking about my career possibilities this week. I talked to Mary (Roddy's grandmother) a lot about her life and how she got involved with Rod (Roddy's grandfather) while he was in the Marines and she moved around with him and had to make friends. He got out of the service after a short time, like Roddy is, and Mary started a nursery school. That was something I used to think about doing, but never thought I could or that I wouldn't get very much money doing it. I realized that a lot of my focus on what career I choose has to do with money and security in it, which I forgot is one of the reasons I get stressed and pressured about picking a field I may not even be interested in.

I just need to keep in mind there are other things, too, that I may really be great for and not considering.

Ahh... back to reality on Monday for me. Hopefully my work week won't be too packed because I want to spend time with Roddy and DJ and do some of the things they have planned with them. So sad vacation is over... I'll never forget flying mints and "the shit."

Thanks to everyone for our house-warming gifts... Grampy and Joyce for the gorgeous bowl and plate and Grams and Pop for the dishes, clock and wicker table and chairs for our balcony. And Grandma and Grandpa for the pictures! And thanks to Sharon and Dan for watching the pups for us. (:

Now we get to look forward to Martha's Vineyard!

No comments: