Friday, October 19, 2007

Guilford

This is where I would love to live...

Guilford, Connecticut.

It's where both of my parents grew up, their families lived their entire lives, my grandparents still live, and it's a beautiful, friendly, suburban town. My dad and mom and her three sisters all got married at the First Congregational Church on the town green. I almost want to get married there, but I haven't been to church in YEARS, so I don't know if that would be a good idea. Then I'd want the reception at Gran's house down the street, like I think they all did, too. People could just walk there! I would love that. Maybe I'll do that either way. Sometime in the summer time a couple of years from now, most likely. And then live there afterward. That would be great.

I don't think Rod really wants to work (in the PD) in Guilford because it's one of the safest, uneventful places in the country, and he'd have nothing to do except unlock people's car doors and scrape up road kill. I'd certainly love it if he worked there, though... nothing to worry about! But I'd never wish unhappiness or boredom for him. (:

It's just such an amazing town. Everyone knows and loves everyone else. I practically know the majority of the 22,000 residents already. Aside from living there, my dad's parents also had a cottage in Indian Cove for most of my life until a few years ago when they sold it. ): Guilford's not TOO expensive to live in, according to city-data.com, the median home costs $371,000 or something similar. The average household income is $84,000, which is about $42,000 per adult.

Spending a lot of my life going there and spending the last three days there helping out my grandmother, I've just remembered how much I adore Guilford. A few weeks ago, my grandma got scammed by some chimney workers, and since then, the whole town has been offering her assistance, advice and suggestions. The town building inspector has been over to visit her twice this week, and in the past couple of days people have been there gardening, mowing, cleaning, washing her windows, and just visiting. Gran knows all the committees and workers in the town by name, it's ridiculous. But I love it! I think it's great. There are no high-rise buildings, there are tons of trees, beautiful, old houses, and everyone is sophisticated but friendly and all seem to be outside, walking their dogs, riding their bikes and enjoying their lives.

Anyway, I will have to talk to Rod about living there. I've talked to him about it a bit already. He graduates from the Academy on February 28, four months from now, and although I want to move immediately after that, I know he wants to "give back" to Norfolk for putting all this work and money into training him and helping him become a police officer. But hopefully we can compromise and move as soon as possible. We can find a cheap place until we save up some money and can buy a house. I can work in a preschool and continue to take my classes onlnie.

I know this is upsetting to some of you we love who are still living in Virginia. However, we will still come visit a lot and you can come visit us WHENEVER, and we will keep in touch every day as long as you all reciprocate. Besides, it hasn't even been decided if/when this is officially happening. Just thinking... xo

No comments: