Friday, October 5, 2007

Deployment Departure Anniversary

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of Rod leaving on deployment for eight months. Stacey and I were talking about it today and how it feels like it's been three years, rather than one. At the airport this morning when my mom left and my dad arrived to replace her in my state of complete dependence, we saw soldiers walking through the terminal toward their wives, children and families. It was very moving. A little girl ran up to her dad and he lifted her up and hugged her, and pointed out the necklace she was wearing and talked to her about where he got it from. His son, who was a little younger, sort of hid in a groove in the wall and watched him for a minute. He was much more timid than the little girl, who immediately wanted him to carry her on his back, to which he replied, "No, you're too big!" It was sweet, though.

I know I'm going through a rough time right now, but I should probably be thankful it's happening this year, as opposed to last year when Rod was leaving. I had no immediate connection or communication with him for eight months. Now, if I was to have an emergency, I could call him at the Academy and get ahold of him pretty quickly and easily. Not that I think I would need to do that. Anyway, just wanted to think back on last year and remember how much more difficult today was, then. (:

No comments: