Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Buying locally, organically

I think I've probably talked about this in previous post(s), but I want to stress how strongly I feel about buying locally. Connecticut is so fortunate to have CT Farm Fresh Express.

CTFFE allows you to choose and order the food you want from their website, they pick it up from farms around the state, and deliver it to your door weekly. No membership or minimum fee required, and everything is made locally so energy costs are cut and we are supporting our local economy!

There are many other reasons, as well, which you can find on the "Why Local" section of their site.

One thing my friend Kaley has educated me on is Raw Milk. I know I must have mentioned this in the past because it's something I advocate for, but hardly ever talk to anyone about because it's not a widely accepted practice. Many people don't realize that raw milk is actually much better for you than pasteurized & homogenized milk, when from the right farm. See Real Milk site for answers to all questions and an endless source of information. I haven't bought pasteurized/homogenized milk since, except for a few times in a pinch when I needed to get it that second and even then, I bought Farmer's Cow (from Connecticut) at Stop & Shop.

I recommend everyone educate themselves -- obviously make the decision that is right for you and your family, and always question (and even visit) the farms you get your milk from to see how they treat their cows, how the cows are fed and what sanitary measures they take.

I also recommend everyone do a Google search for their own state's version of CTFFE. Even if you have to start one yourself or just shop the local farmer's markets for a while, it's worth the trouble when you'd rather just cross the street from your house and buy your groceries from your grocery store chain. You'll thank me later! :)

1 comment:

Lucy said...

I completely agree with the local & organic plan. I always bought locally grown, organic foods when I lived back in New England. There are so many local farms with stands back in CT (and great local produce in all the markets) and great farmers markets & local grocers in Boston.

Unfortunately, since I've moved to TX, finding local products is actually MUCH more difficult. There is only one grocery store company in Waco, and since the economy is so poor in the city (30% of the population is below the poverty level), they don't cater beyond the bare minimum and generally cheapest products available. I miss having the options!