Friday, February 11, 2011

Quitters!

The same day I decided to take on this personal weight loss challenge, I found out that my father-in-law Dan has decided to quit smoking. He went to his doctor and his doctor told him that if he didn't quit right now, he was going to die. He has already had two heart attacks in the last 10 years, one of which was only a couple of months ago. At this appointment a couple days ago, the doctor asked if he was having any angina pains, to which he answered yes, slightly (although he told me he was fibbing, he was actually having worse pains than he admitted). So the doctor asked him how badly he wanted to live. And that did it, apparently.

I'm so excited for him! And proud. Now, he's tried to quit in the past... but, hey, I've tried to quit eating badly in the past too, and we both failed on our attempts, so maybe this time will be different. He did mention he wants to be around to see his grandkids. :) We really, really want that, too.

I have been doing pretty well the last couple of days. I shopped and got a bunch of healthy snacks, I've been eating oranges and goldfish -- which I realize isn't necessarily a super healthy snack, but it's better than McDonalds french fries or frozen pizza, that's for sure!

Today I ate some spaghetti and meatballs, which I really should cut back on. I didn't eat as much as I usually would have, but it was still too much. Again, I'm trying to aim for 1000-1500 calories a day, and I think today I was probably a little over that. I had a lot of carbs. BUT, again, it wasn't fast food or super fatty stuff.

The other thing I have yet to do is exercise. I haven't in the past two days and I really need to do that every day. Maybe I'll force myself tonight. It helps when I use my stepper and watch TV at the same time... that is, it helps me exercise for longer before I get totally bored and quit... it helps to distract myself and time goes by faster.

I'm hosting the whole family Sunday night for dinner (except Daniel who has to work and maybe Dan who said he might be too cranky from his nicotine withdrawal to have to come to dinner and be all jolly--we told him we didn't care and to re-think and come). It's kind of going to be a pre-Valentine's Day celebration dinner, I guess. I have to think of what to make! Something Valentine's Day themed, if possible...my mom's bringing dessert so that leaves me in a pickle with how to make a main course Valentine's-themed. We'll see!

No comments: