Thursday, January 10, 2008

Virginia Beach driving

First of all, I want to say that I am in NO WAY dissing people who have lived here their whole lives, or anything like that. I love my friends here, and people in general have nothing to do with what I'm about to say. Human nature is human nature, and this would happen anywhere else that has these same traffic problems.

I've never understood or agreed with people when they say that drivers in a certain area are bad, because you can't categorize like that. It's not like the water in Virginia Beach holds some kind of chemical that makes people bad drivers... it just so happens that driving in a certain place is more difficult than other places because of the roads, the traffic, the population vs. road setup, etc.

Virginia Beach is one of these places. In my opinion.

I was driving home today and getting off the Rosemont exit. I was at the stop light at the bottom of the off-ramp at the end of a LONG line of cars going straight onto Bonney Road. As many of you may know, this light turns green only for a short period of time because of how many different roads turn into this intersection, and drivers going toward Virginia Beach Blvd. on Rosemont have a VERY weird setup that makes it extremely hectic.

Anyway, people were in such frustration and in such hurries that they were driving into the middle of the intersection and not bothering to keep room open for people driving perpendicular to them in case their light changed before traffic moved to create an opening.

Selfish? Yes.

Not everyone does this, but because of a situation like this intersection, especially during rush hour, people are more aggravated and less likely to be considered to others. Drives me nuts!

I really feel that Virginia Beach needs to do something about its lanes and intersections. This is ridiculous. There are way too many people in this city.

No comments: